Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A sustainable life

Are you living a sustainable life? Maybe you have caught yourself saying things like, "I can't do this much longer. I just can't keep this up forever." When you make comments like these, what you are really saying is, "I know i have limits and that I have reached them, but I am going to ignore them and see how long I can get by with it."


Our body gives us warnings when we are pushing too hard, like an ache here or a pain there. But we think, "I will be alright," and we ignore the warnings until we are too sick to ignore them.


I am not proud of this, but for the first twenty years of my ministry, I felt physically terrible a lot of time. I ran to doctors and tried all kinds of pills and vitamins. The doctors tried to tell me that I was simply pushing myself too hard, but I ignored them. I kept pushing myself to do all the travelling, speaking engagements, meetings, and so on, simply exhausting myself.


Finally, I realized that we can't ignore God's direction to take time to rest and not pay a price for it. So I made some changes and now I feel better than I ever have.


If you are living an unsustainable life, stop putting off making the changes you need to make. Do not wait until something happens, like a nervous breakdown or a heart problem. Make changes now to live the kind of life God wants you to live. When you live  God's way, I can guarantee you will discover an overwhelming new level of peace in your life.


Prayer starter: Lord, show me the unsustainable areas of my life. I submit them to You. Lead me into Your rest and peace today, so that I can enjoy my life and serve You for years to come. 


**Joyce Meyer



Psalm 23:2
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters.



No comments:

Post a Comment